Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Tower Bridge

Perhaps the most famous bridge along the River Thames is the Tower Bridge, which is adjacent to the Tower of London. I am guessing that the proximity to the Towers of London, is what gave the bridge its name. The bridge can be accessed via the Tower Hill tube station along the circle line or the district line.

I watched Sherlock Holmes on the plane to London. There was a scene in it, towards the end of the movie, which featured the tower bridge still under construction. So I am also guessing that the bridge should have been built towards the end of the century, maybe 1890-1900. It is essentially a suspension bridge with a bascule feature that allows bigger and larger ships to go through. I think that is in essence what the bridge is all about.

Well of course I am sure there is much more to it than the few lines I wrote. I will let you guys do your own research. Let me just show you a few photos of the bridge and its surroundings.

















No comments:

Post a Comment